What would you do if you knew you only had one more year to live? What would you do if you won the lottery? Write down your answers to these questions.
Think about those answers and ask yourself is what you are doing today what you would be doing in light of those answers. If your answers leave you empty then what are you waiting for? Life is short and the right time to do that thing is now.
- When should I write that book you always wanted? Now.
- When should I go back to school and learn physics? Now.
- When should I go out on my own and open my own business? Now.
- When should I travel to Europe and visit the Eiffel tower? Now.
This does not mean that your book will be a breakaway success or that you need to quit your job and start that new matchmaking business. Rather it means you need to start doing something to change those answers so that you are happy with them. This often means hard work.
Ok, I know you are saying come back to reality because I have a family and commitments and it is nice to say but I simply cannot live my dream. Certainly we all have commitments but don’t let those commitments eliminate your chance to achieve your dream. Committing a fraction of each day to pursue your dream will ensure that you are the best spouse, parent, employee, etc. Here are some tips to start living your dream:
- What would you do? Do an assessment and ask yourself “if you won the lottery today or only had one year to live what would you do?” Most people will answer something that they are not doing today. Assuming you are like most people that are not living their dream fully — write down a list of things that you would do or change. Take that list and identify the top three things that you would do.
- What would it take? Identify what it would take to achieve those top three things. It might be you need more money because it’s expensive to travel the world. Or, you might need more time with your family because you are busy and travel a lot. Or, you might need to run more to finish your first marathon.
- What can you do now? Often times whatever you are looking to do will require time or money or something else. It is now time to identify what you can do now for you to start moving towards your dreams. For example, say you are looking to write the great American novel and you write but not consistently and just can’t find the time. Look at your day and find 30 minutes every day to pursue your dream. If you cannot find 30 minutes then it is likely not truly something worth sacrificing. In this case you might want to wake up 30 minutes early every day and write. You will get the benefit of a fresh and spirited mind and when people get up they have the most self-discipline so you are most likely to do it.
For me this has certainly meant a change of pace in the last few years. It is not because of some near-death situation but rather a concerted effort to be more strategic with my life and how I spend my most valuable assets…time and effort. With that being said I often times work too much and don’t do as much as possible to live my dreams. Everyday I wake up and have a chance to start living my dream and many days I do this by getting involved in my community, writing, learning, and spending time with friends and family. By doing this I know I lead a more fulfilling life now and setting myself up for more success in the future.
Have an awesome week and remember to do something today to supercharge your success.
As always appreciate your feedback, emails, comments, likes, and re-tweets!
Image: CC0 Public Domain via pixabay.com